When teeth need to be straightened, for an improved bite or a more aesthetic appearance, orthodontic treatment is recommended. Although we associate braces with teenagers, the age when orthodontics has the optimum outcome, modern treatments are also effective on adults. Orthodontic treatment can also be an essential foundation for additional dental work, such as veneers or crowns.
Your dentist will discuss with you the appliances that will be needed, and the time the treatment will take, to get the best results so that you know what to expect.
Orthodontic treatment helps:
- correct the way upper and lower teeth bite together
- improve the spacing and alignment of teeth
- straighten teeth
- adjust tooth position before beginning other dental enhancements
- ensure that misaligned teeth do not lead to other problems, such as temporomandibular joint disorders or headaches.
- enhance your overall appearance, especially your smile.
Looking after your mouth during orthodontic treatment:
It is important to receive, and follow, good advice for maintaining the best oral hygiene practices, which may also involve some dietary considerations. Once you have decided on your treatment plan with your dentist, it’s important to attend regular appointments and follow the stages through to the end. Although the pressure exerted by the appliances, and the appearance, may cause some discomfort or self-consciousness, the results are worth it.