Oral Hygiene at Saltash
“I was extremely happy with the advice I was given about keeping my gums healthy and they have vastly improved in the last few months.” ES – a SpaDental Plymouth patient
For maintaining optimum oral health
We believe that practising good oral hygiene at home, combined with regular visits to your dental practice, ensures your optimum oral health.
Our qualified hygienists and therapists help to lessen your risk of developing gum disease by removing plaque and tartar deposits. The early stage of gum disease, gingivitis, needs to be treated to avoid tooth loss later.
At SpaDental you may make an appointment to see a hygienist or therapist without seeing a dentist first.
The hygienist’s role may include the following:
- thoroughly assessing gums for signs of swelling, inflammation or bleeding
- carrying out a ‘scale and polish’ to remove hardened plaque and leave a shiny, smooth surface, which not only improves the look of your teeth but also deters further plaque from collecting
- removing tartar from the root surface, known as root planing, to prevent gum disease progressing
- applying fissure sealants to protect young teeth, and fluoride varnish to strengthen tooth enamel
- demonstrating the most effective ways to clean and floss teeth
- advising you what to eat and drink, and offering smoking cessation tips
- if at risk, measuring where the gum meets the tooth for signs of oral cancer
The dental therapist’s role is all of the above and in addition, may include:
- fillings or extracting baby teeth
- tooth whitening
- emergency care (following a consultation with the dentist)
Please note: your hygienist or therapist is not responsible for a complete dental examination, therefore, regular appointments with a dentist are recommended.
Looking after your teeth at home
As well as regular visits to your dental practice, invest time in an effective oral hygiene routine at home to help avoid gum disease and tooth decay. Brush at least twice a day, especially before bed, for at least two minutes.
Don’t forget to clean between your teeth with floss, tape or interdental brushes. Rinsing with mouthwash can help keep teeth free from plaque, as well as freshening your mouth.
To download an information leaflet, please click here.
Indicative Treatment Fees
|Treatment oral-hygiene||Private||SpaDental Essentials||NHS|
|Routine Hygiene||From £43.00||Included in monthly fee||Band 2 (£62.10)|